Altus Chambers, a local law firm located at Mount Standfast, St. James is seeking a full-time Legal Assistant to join its team. Our ideal candidate will assist attorneys with all aspects of their law practice by providing administrative, secretarial and clerical support.
- Plan, schedule, and coordinate meetings with attorneys and clients
- Receive and screen telephone calls, letters and/or visitors
- Answer routine questions and furnish information to inquiring parties
- Manage attorney calendar by scheduling appointments and travel
- Communicate attorney’s instructions to various individuals and furnish and obtain information from other attorneys
- Create, organize and maintain client files and follow up on pending matters
- Maintain physical and electronic client, research and administrative files
- Greet attorney’s clients and guests for meetings and appointments and ensure that all required materials are organized in advance
- Anticipate attorney’s needs and prepare necessary documentation in draft for attorney’s review, including miscellaneous correspondence and client billing
- Provide document production services, including proofreading, spelling and grammatical errors, styling and formatting of documents
- Manage incoming and outgoing mail and e-mail
- Prepare documents and packages for mail, messenger and overnight delivery and ensure that all attachments, exhibits and enclosures are included in outgoing correspondence
- Receive and redirect attorney requests and needs as appropriate to expedite solutions
- Onboard new clients and assist clients with completing KYC forms in accordance with the Firm’s AML Compliance Policy
- Ensure proper and timely calendaring of deadlines, meetings, trials and hearings
- File documents at the law courts and government registries.
- Assist with billing and collection matters
- Prepare budgets, expense reports and disbursements forms
Required Experience and Skills
This is an entry level position. The ideal candidate filling the post of Legal Assistant will have:
- A minimum of 5 CXC subjects including English Language and Mathematics. Business subjects would also be an asset.
- Minimum 3 years of experience in working in an office environment.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Word, Excel, Outlook and PowerPoint. Knowledge of WordPress would be an asset.
- Excellent organizational and time management skills and the ability to multitask, pay strict attention to detail.
- Be able to use initiative to complete tasks in a timely manner with minimal errors
About Altus Chambers
Altus Chambers handles both contentious and non-contentious matters and provides a range of legal services in many practice areas, with particular focus on personal injury litigation, maritime, corporate, family and employment law.
With justice, integrity, and excellence as our core values, we have cultivated an organizational culture which empowers our employees to realize their full potential. Our organizational culture and core values form a big part of our identity and make us a great firm to work for.
We seek to attract high-performing partners, associates, business services professionals, and in-service trainees to join our expanding law firm. As part of the business service team at Altus Chambers, you will engage in exciting and stimulating work, where your contribution will highly impact the overall performance of the Firm.